Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Mother Lu's Pumpkin Chiffon Pie:
I’d like to share my great-grandmother’s pumpkin chiffon pie recipe, a Thanksgiving tradition from my maternal grandmother’s mother.
Mother Lu’s Pumpkin Chiffon Pie:
- 1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 9” baked pie shell
- whipped cream
- Mix gelatin, dark brown sugar, salt and spices thoroughly in saucepan.
- Stir in water, milk, egg yolks and pumpkin and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until starts to bubble and mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon. Set aside in refrigerator to cool.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Beat white sugar into stiff egg whites.
- Fold gelatin mixture into stiffly beaten egg whites/sugar mixture.
- Turn into baked pie shell and chill until firm.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Page 1 of 1 pages